top of page
1874 Leverich Hose Wagon Hand-Drawn
Although records no longer exist to provide details, it appears that this hose wagon was purchased in1874. It was built by the Leverich Fire Apparatus Works, 119 & 121 Walker Street, New York, New York. We believe that this apparatus was in service until 1922. (It was returned to service during World War II to protect homes in the "Bound Brook Heights" area of Bridgewater Township). The hose reel held several hundred feet of 2½” hose that would bring water from a hand pumper, or a fire hydrant, to the fire. The wagon carried playpipes (nozzles), lanterns, axes, and tools. In this photo, the handles on the hitch indicate that the hose wagon is hand-drawn. The next photo shows the same hose wagon being horse-drawn. The wagon continues in the possession of the company, awaiting restoration.
bottom of page