1874 Leverich Hose Wagon Horse-Drawn
The previous photo shows this same hose wagon being hand-drawn. It appears that this hose wagon was purchased in 1874. It was built by the Leverich Fire Apparatus Works, 119 & 121 Walker Street, New York, New York. We believe that this apparatus was in service until 1922. The hose reel held several hundred feet of 2½” hose that would bring water from a hand pumper, or a fire hydrant, to the fire. The wagon carried playpipes (nozzles), lanterns, axes, and tools. The wagon continues in the possession of the Company, awaiting restoration.